Life Through My Eyes

Life Through My Eyes

Friday, October 29, 2010

Carcassonne and Craters

Yesterday was day 5 in Maui.  I didn’t get a chance to blog about the day because Brian, Amy, Keith and I were playing Carcassonne late into the evening.  I figured I would just fill you in as I sip my morning cup of Kona coffee.

I would say that yesterday was a successful family day.  Brian and Keith decided to accompany me on my morning run.  Their speed was much faster then my typical beach jog, but I kept up. 

We all made the trip to the Haleakala Crater.  We didn’t see the sun set or rise, which is supposedly a breathtaking experience.  I am not sure if the Hillier family would ever be able to wake up at 3am to see such a sight, and we got there a little too early to just wait around for the sun to set.  I thought that the crater was breathtaking, even without a rising or setting sun.  Kathy (Keith’s mom) seemed to be a little disappointed about the craters size.  I guess she was expecting much bigger.  If you ask me it is quite large.  The next time I visit I would love to make it a day trip.  My dream would be to watch the sun rise and then hike down into the crater.  We were not sure the hike would be safe for the entire family, so we didn’t make that journey this trip.





On the way to the Haleakala Crater we made a stop at the Maui Agricultural Research Center (MARC) and the Kula Botanical Gardens.  The highlight of the MARC was that I got to peak into the Biochemistry Lab.  This isn’t allowed and is actually off limits, but I was “searching for the bathroom.”  At least that’s what I was going to say if someone said something.  I am a total science geek and it is unfair to tempt me with microscopes and staff only signs.  It only makes me want to “scope” the place out.  I wish the facility would have done a little tour of the lab or explained their research a bit.  I think that would have made the stop a little more enlightening, but it was free.  My 2nd favorite part of the MARC was the Rose garden.  I found out that mine and Keith birthday (1984) flower was named “Intrigued.”  It was a pretty little purple rose.  No one else in the family had a birthday rose.  They didn’t go back that far.




The Kula Botanical Gardens was $10 per person, but well worth it.  There is NO senior discount, trust me, Kathy asked a few times.  However, there is a AAA discount of $8.50 per person.  The garden was beautiful and well kept with benches, lawns, trails, flowers, plants, mini waterfalls, streams, ponds, and animals.  It is a perfect venue for a small wedding.  The best part was cracking macadamia nuts and eating them.  Keith even ate off the tree this time.  I would highly recommend this for a family stop.  It is one that is fun for everyone.






We drove back to the condo and Kathryn made the family some delicious chicken tacos.  You know exactly how I ended my night, Carcassonne.


Thanks for reading (Mahalo!)

Jennifer Marie











No comments:

Post a Comment