Life Through My Eyes

Life Through My Eyes

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Urban Cow Half Marathon – 2013


Well, I ran the Urban Cow Half Marathon on a whim this year.  Keith was headed to Sacramento for a CX race anyway, so I figured why not?!  It is the month of freedom after all.  I am not exactly sure what it was that all of a sudden prompted me to register for the half, more than quadrupling my longest run in 2 years.  Who knows, but following an epic 10-mile hike with friends on Saturday, I went straight home to do so.

Hiking Around Windy Hill Open Space Preserve With Friends
Ok, that’s a lie, I actually got a speeding ticket first, so it looks like I’ll be adding traffic school to my list of off the bike October activities.... CRAP! 


This is actually a photo from 2009..... but I thought it was funny!
Saturday night Bill put together a swank little Pinnacle team dinner at the eloquent Piperade Restaurant in SF.  I didn’t pass on the opportunity for a fine Hen dinner with a side of champagne and wine x2, maybe 3?!  Regardless of how much I had to drink, how many miles I hiked, or how little sleep I received.... I was running this thing!


Dinner Table

Me and Keith all dressed up

 Keith and I arrived to Sac at 6:15am, just in time to pick up my race packet.  My name of course wasn’t in the group of pre registrants since I hadn’t even registered 12 hours prior.  I just stood in another line, got my number and AWESOME cow shirt.  I quickly laced up my running shoes and pinned on my number. 


Pre Race Pic...... Look at my shirt!!!!
I found my way to the runners corralled at the start line in order of prospected finishing times.  I took a gamble and headed to the back of heat 1 (under 2 hour finish), and stood by the 9 min mile sign.  I knew I could bust out a quick mile or two, but 13?!  If I learned anything from pursuiting it is NOT to go out too fast! 

Nine minute mile corral sign

I listened to my country music Pandora radio and cruised along the American River.  I don’t have one of those fancy iphone holding running gadgets, so I just had to tuck mine into my sports bra.  I suppose I just figured all sportswear came fully equipped with pockets in the back.  I pulled my phone out every once in a while to make sure my STRAVA app was indeed recording my comeback run.  I needed proof.


Thirteen plus miles later I crossed the finish line and received my cowbell..... and found a cow!

Negative Splits..... the longer the distance the faster I get!! 

A cow, cowbell and chocolate milk..... SCORE!! 
My legs were instantly debilitated.  I iced them in a freezing pool, busted out the Marc Pro, and slithered into the compression tights.  All I can say is, I thank the lord for the handicap rails in the bathrooms........ my legs no longer work!


Post Race Ice Cold Pool

In the back of the truck Marc Pro'n with my feet up

Thanks for reading

Jennifer Marie

PS.  Keith won his CX race!!  I was confined to a blanket and unable to moooooove, but I was most definitely able to ring my cowbell and make a collage! 

I love this awesome CX winning stud! 


 PSS- The weekend was waaaaaaay tooooooo much fun!!!  I can't wait for my next crazy October adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment