Life Through My Eyes

Life Through My Eyes

Friday, October 11, 2013

I Joined A Gym


I am finding that I am feeling a little out of my element these days.  I am so accustom to a schedule that leaves no time to even think about how busy I actually am.  I oddly enjoy the robotic repetitive nature of my life.  It allows me to accomplish all given tasks in a set amount of time.  Lately I have had the freedom to be a little spontaneous in my adventures.  As an Urban Cow Half rehabilitation attempt I decided I wanted to try an elliptical and do some yoga today. Unfortunately I don’t, or didn’t, have access to an elliptical and the P90x video Keith downloaded was far from the Namaste vibe I was going for. 


I have actually been toddling with the idea of a gym membership for some time now.  The only thing that has been holding me back is the simple fact that I just don’t want to have another expenditure.  However, the truth of the matter is I could really benefit from the increased hip range of motion from kickboxing and the relaxation and flexibility from yoga.  I also wouldn’t mind testing out a spin class as an alternative on a cold and rainy winter day.  I had my mind made up.  I put on some workout gear, grabbed my bag and walked the maybe 2 blocks to the gym.

FYI, I used the stairs!

I was greeted upon arrival and sent back to a little cubby to discus membership with the sales associate.  I sat through his painful personal training sales pitch, which I kindly declined.  I now realize that personal training is actually where the gym makes its money with its 59-70 dollar sessions depending on bulk of purchase.  It’s certainly not the $44 dollars a month (no contract!) I’ll be paying for the membership itself.  I’ll be sure to get my moneys worth by taking extra long post workout showers and getting my cable TV fix, a luxury I do not have a home.  Just as I assumed we were wrapping things up the sales associate then insisted on bringing “Josh the personal trainer” over to talk to me about all the things he could do for me and how much I would benefit from personal training.  Feeling both bombarded by the sales team approach and leery of the personal trainers qualifications, I explained that I not only hold an advanced degree in the subject matter and successfully passed my sports medicine exam, but I am also very accustomed to 12-15 hours of hard training a week.  I guarantee I can handle my own off-season exercise routine.  He stuttered before saying anything, as he knew is online certification and rehearsed sales pitch was not going to result in any extra money in his pocket today.
HaHaHa
I finally made it over to the elliptical machine I had been dreaming about for 2 hours now.  It felt so good to move pain free!  It is a monster of a machine though.  I admit, it totally kicked my ass the entire hour I used it.  I then bypassed all the machines and found myself in the very corner of the gym all alone with a mat, foam roller and stability ball.  I did all of the core work and foam rolling that I could have easily done at home, but it was much less distracting without Mahoney in the way or the refrigerator in the other room.  I am not sure how long I will keep this membership as I hope to be back on the bike like a rock star in the coming weeks.  I can’t wait to try out a yoga class.  If I like it I may actually keep my membership.  I think I handle the nominal monthly fee if it means increased flexibility, core strength and less injury!

I guess that’s all for now.  Time to get a massage! I’ll have to tell you all about the “gym going people” in another post, quite entertaining.



Thanks for Reading

JenniferMarieJ  

2 comments:

  1. Make sure you add the steam and sauna to your visit.....it's what keeps me coming back!!!

    ReplyDelete